I love baking and cupcakes are so simple to whip up for any last minute occasion. This is my little Christmas tweak to the usual vanilla flavour I normally bake. They’re deliciously spiced boozy plum pudding cupcakes! The boozy flavour comes from from the icing but if you like an extra hit, brush a little brandy over the top! Phowar!
This recipe along with others are available for download in the FREE Christmas PDF I’ve put together which is download able here. Go on, try these these this weekend!
Enjoy my lovelies!
Plum Pudding Cupcakes
170g plain flour
100g brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
40g butter at room temperature
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 whisked egg
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup sultanas
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
250g sifted icing sugar
80g unsalted butter at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 170ºC. Place flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and butter into a bowl and mix until it becomes a sandy consistency.
2. In a small bowl, add milk and golden syrup and microwave for 20 seconds. The golden syrup should be runny enough to mix well into the milk. Add this into the other bowl a little bit at a time. Add the whisked egg into the flour mixture and beat until just incorporated.
3. Add sultanas, raisins, and spices to the mixture and mix well.
4. Fill the paper cases two-thirds full with the mixture and bake in the preheated oven for 17 minutes or until golden brown. You should be able to smell the cupcakes wafting from the oven when they’re done. Cool on a wire rack.
5. To make the icing, place the icing sugar in a bowl with the butter. Mix well until incorporated and add the rum a little at a time until the icing is at a good consistency. Ice the cupcakes once they’re cool.
*If you’d like your plum pudding cupcakes a little extra boozy, brush a little bit of rum over the top with a brush before icing.