Last week was CRAAAZY busy… mainly because it was my favouritest person in the world’s 30th birthday! Yes it was Seb’s birthday on Thursday, so I had lots of organising to do throughout the week: the dinner with friends, buying a birthday present and baking this DELICIOUS cake! I would normally make a cream cheese icing for a carrot cake but I decided to try something different and make a white chocolate ganache as the icing (Seb is the original milky bar kid). I have to tell you – it was soooo good. My mouth is salivating at the very thought of it. Anyway, it’s also my birthday coming up this weekend so we’ve organised a big (halloween themed) birthday beach party down at Opossum Bay (Tas) on Saturday. The party is going to be so much fun… but here’s a disclaimer – there may or may not be a post next week. It all depends on the severity of my hangover.
This weekend was busy too! On Friday night we had the opening party of Magic Johnston studios! Magic Johnston (on Johnston St. Collingwood) is a brand new shared artist studio that the old gang from Parts Studio have moved into, along with a bunch of other talented creative peeps. The party was a roaring success, plenty of sponsored booze and an abundance of homemade burgers (300+ mini burgers, made by Seb aka Drunk Park himself!). If you’re looking for a creative workspace there’s plenty still available – enquire here.
We spent Saturday running around scouring tip shops, moving giant guillotines (seriously), walking puppies, shifting chairs and catching up with long lost cousins. Sunday was just as busy, meeting friends for breakfast at Penny Farthing Esspresso (on Northcote High St – deelish), followed by a rather exciting project meeting at Alimentari on Brunswick St (expect to hear more about this down the line), then a catch up with an old friend from NZ at Marmalade & Soul. Now I’m back at work, I’m exhausted and can’t wait for this weekend!
BRING ON THE DIRTY THIRTIES!
Carrot Cake with White Chocolate Ganache
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups flour,
2 tsp. bicarbonate soda
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups finely grated carrots (roughly 2 medium carrots)
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup coconut – shredded or flaked
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted (optional)
330ml pure cream
1. Start by making the gnache as it’ll need to be cool by the time the cakes have cooked. Place the chocolate and cream into a microwave proof bowl and cook for 1-2 minutes or until melted. Keep and eye on it as you don’t want it to over cook. Take it out of the microwave and mix gently until all the chocolate has completely melted. Place in the fridge to cool until it’s time to use.
2. Preheat oven to 170ºC and grease and line two 20cm round pans.
3. In a mixer bowl, add eggs, sugar and vegetable oil and beat until smooth and creamy.
4. Sift together the flour, bicarbonate soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into egg mixture and beat slowly until incorporated.
5. Add the finely grated carrots, pineapple, coconut, walnuts and mix until it just comes together and pour into the pre-prepared tins. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean (I usually check once I can smell the delicious cake smells coming form the oven).
6. Let cakes cool for at least 10 minutes before icing. (I first iced a crumb layer before piping the final layer).