Pulled Pork Winter Tacos

This week is the first post I get to shoot with my brand new camera, woohoo! Yes, after months of research, saving and ogling I decided it was finally time to purchase my new camera. After seeing the results I’m now wishing I bought it months ago! The images are so clear and makes everything look 1000 times better than my old D90 photos (aww but I still love you D90 – all the things we’ve seen together!). I’m no technical camera geek but this camera is the business. Augh, anyway, I’m in love with it and I hope you all enjoy the photos. :)

I’ve been thinking about this weeks recipe for just about as long as the camera itself. In early June I was craving tacos but I know that most of the ingredients are summer produce and out of season; I really don’t like buying out of season. I then had a bit of an epiphany and decided to substitute the ingredients for a winter style taco. I’m entering a new phase of my life where I love cabbage (who knew, ha) and other wintery vegetables. I now prefer cabbage instead of  salad in tacos as it’s so much crunchier and feels fresh and super healthy (and who could resist that beautiful purple colour!).  BUT… the one thing that made these tacos so deliciously tasty and moreish was definitely the pulled pork (!!!!!!!).

It’s a new thing to me this pulled pork bizzo, but our friend Nik is o-b-s-e-s-s-e-d with it. He cooks it in big batches and makes pulled pork sandwiches to take to work with him everyday. I had only heard how amazing it was second hand, so I thought it was time I give it a go. I found the original recipe on a blog called Kevin and Amanda but changed things up a little. I found it was all quite time consuming (but I had time so I didn’t mind) so I’m sure you could probably skip the brine/marinating step. It’s all about slow roasting for me this winter and this is another good excuse to get that slow cooker out of the cupboard.

Like I said, I’ve been thinking about this for a while, so I wanted to do it properly – which meant making the soft shelled tacos as well (which is DEAD easy by the way). If you can make pancakes, you can make these. Be sure to give it a go for the full homemade taco experience!

x e.

Brine solution

1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 qts cold water
3 tbsp dry rub mix

Pork shoulder

1.  Make your rub by adding all ingredients into a airtight bag or container and mix well.

2.  Make your brine by adding all ingredients together into a large bowl. Add the pork and let it marinate for 8 hours (or however long you can spare).

3.  Once you’ve marinated the pork for long enough, take it out and dry off with paper towel. Cover the meat in almost all the rub mixture but leave 3 tbsp for the sauce. Cook in a slow cooker over night and just cover the bottom of the pan with some of the brine mixture.

4.  After the 8 hours take the meat out and scrape off any excess fat. The meat is now ready for your tacos.

Tomato bean sauce

I felt like the tacos needed a sauce of some sort to go with it so I made this from the left over spices.

400g can of crushed diced tomatos
1 onion diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp of the dry rub spice mix

1.  Add the diced onion to a hot fry pan with a good glug of olive oil. Once brown, add garlic, tomatos and spice mix and cook for 5 minutes.

Soft shell tacos

Adapted from a Cooks.com recipe

1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup corn meal (I substituted for polenta)
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 3/4 cups water

1.  Add all ingredients together and beat until smooth. Once all lumps have been beaten out, add a small ladle full of mixture to an unoiled medium heat frypan. Cook until the edges brown slightly, flip and cook the other side.

Sour cream sauce

3 heaped tbsp sour cream
3 heaped tbsp greek yoghurt
good pinch of salt
sprinkling of paprika

Once you’ve made the tacos, pork and sauces you just need to build them! I used the following ingredients:

purple cabbage grated
carrot grated
good quality vintage cheese grated
sprouts

26 Comments

Got something to say? I want to hear from you. Leave a Comment

1. Michaela says:

Tacos look great.. But what sort of camera did you buy? Great blog

2. Love the idea of cabbage on a taco. How proud do you feel with a new camera. It all most becomes your new best friend. Beautiful photos.

3. Michelle says:

Hi, Do you mean to use a crockpot slow cooker, as I thought the meat had to be covered in them
    thanks
    Michelle

• Emily says: (Author)

Hi Michelle, yes I used a crock pot slow cooker. I just added some of the brine liquid to the bottom of the pan and let it cook overnight. It seemed to work out all right!

4. THE GOOK says:

I love that they are tacos slash very full mini wraps and that you’ve loaded them up with some fresh healthy stuff to balance out the rich pork. Mega-yum!

5. Sarah says:

Yummy tacos and beautiful pictures!

6. Absolutely lovely images!

7. Just discovered you via Jennifer at Le Deliciuex. What a gorgeous blog! Loving this recipe but also looking forward to browsing round some more :-)

8. Julia says:

Beautiful photography! I saw your photo on TasteSpotting.com and clicked over to your site.

9. Jyoti says:

This was. PHENOMENAL. best pork ever, thanks for the recipe!

10. Steph says:

Just wondering exactly how much of the brine you put on the bottom of the crock pot ? So basically does the pork shoulder just sit in the crock pot with a bit of the brine?

• Emily says: (Author)

Hi Steph, You’ll need to add enough brine to cover the bottom of the slowcooker. I’d say roughly 2-3 cm deep. Ohh it’s so delicious!

11. donna says:

what temp do you set slow cooker on for 8hrs?

• Emily says: (Author)

Hi Donna. I have two settings on my slow cooker, high and low. For overnight or 8 hrs of cooking I put it on low.

12. Cheri says:

Thanks sooo much for sharing your pulled pork recipe! I’m trying it today! Yay! I just wanted to make sure there’s not an ingredient missing in the tomato bean sauce. Is there really no beans in it? Thanks again! Can’t wait to try your many great recipes!!!

• Emily says: (Author)

Hi Cheri, I decided to make mine without beans but of course you can add it into yours! I’d add it in towards the last hour of cooking so they don’t mush up too much! :)

13. Jeff says:

You didn’t mention how much pork you use in the recipe

14. Xlntchef says:

These look stunning and what a cool recipe for corn tortillas! What did you use to tie them with? Since you gave me the recipe for making them I plan on a mini version as an appetizer. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Emily says: (Author)

Thanks Xintchef! I just used some brown twine to wrap them up but you could use anything really. Glad you like!

15. Carol Turnbull says:

Wow! A friend spoke of this recipe at the weekend. I cannot wait to try it. but as I don’t have a slow cooker can I assume a very low heat on a conventional oven will do just as good?

• Emily says: (Author)

Hi Carol, I haven’t tried this recipe using an oven but I could imagine it’d be the same on the lowest setting on your oven. Let me know how you go!

Trackbacks for this post