Best Ever Spiced Mulled Wine

Augh what a weekend! My sister popped up from Hobart on Friday so we went for a very quick bite to eat at Mamasita (delish) followed by a trip to the footy (Cats vs Hawks). Now we’re not massive fans of football (and we don’t particularly support either of these teams) but this was one of the best games I have EVER seen! We decided to go for the Cats which is my niece’s team (which she chose because she likes pussy cats – cute!). On the final siren the cats ended up kicking the winning goal… nail biting stuff! There’s nothing like the atmosphere of the footy at the MCG, a real Melbourne night out!

Sunday was a very busy day baking, photographing and celebrating as we had Seb’s Aunty’s 70th birthday that afternoon (HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER –  I know you’re reading this). She’s Adeline & Lumiere’s biggest fan! So to help celebrate I made a few little goodies. I started off with a batch of Madeleines, these are now my fail-proof, fall-back recipe (check out my recipe for these here). I also made a little something else… but you might have to wait until next week to see what that is!

For this weeks post I decided to make a batch of wonderfully spicy, winter-warming mulled wine. My friend Jenna has been talking about mulled wine for the past few weeks which inspired me to make some for myself! And with the end of winter just around the corner (THANK GOODNESS!) I thought I’d better get a wriggle on. I’ve read quite a few recipes for mulled wine, all of which vary quite significantly. My recipe has taken (in my opinion) the best ingredients and techniques from a range of recipes and tweaked them again for good measure. I’ve said this before; I’m no wine connoisseur and I’m DEFINITELY not a mulled wine connoisseur either but I think this tastes delicious. Of course it goes without saying, if it doesn’t have enough ‘zing’ for your liking, add a few more spices to taste.

Happy hiccup drinking.

x e.

Best Ever Mulled Wine

750ml red wine
150g castor sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
peel of one lemon
peel of one orange
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
5 cloves
1 tsp fresh nutmeg
pinch of ginger

1.  Place all ingredient except the wine into a large saucepan and place on medium heat. Add just a small glug of red wine to the pan to ensure the sugar is covered and let it cook for 4-5 minutes until it becomes thick and sticky. This should let all the spices infuse well.

2.  Once the mixture has become sticky enough, add the rest of the wine and turn down the heat. You don’t want the wine to boil otherwise all the alcohol will evaporate!!! Let cook for 5 minutes and serve hot with slices with fresh orange.

25 Comments

Got something to say? I want to hear from you. Leave a Comment

1. Jenna says:

Let’s go find a log cabin and drink mulled wine!

2. Lisa says:

We tried this recipe today for a party, it was an instant hit – many of the fellas wanted the recipe for future camping trips. It was amazing, as soon as we put the pot on the stove it instantly turned into ‘men’s business’ and surrounded by an eager male mob – very similar to what is seen around bbqs in summer. Thank you for publishing it!

3. Anne says:

I know exactly what Lisa means about the men becoming ‘Kings of the Kitchen’ when the Mulled Wine is around…….Living in Tassie, there’s often a good excuse to get a batch going…..like now !! (Plenty of snow happening in many regions.) Like you, I tend to ‘tweak’ a combination of recipes to make my own version.

4. Linda says:

With a wreath on the door, freezing outside, windows fogging inside from the blaring heat of the fire place, the smell of the roast throughout the house & the sweet & spicy of mulled wine completed a celebration of Christmas in July with friends.
    The mulled wine was a hit, we just wanted more & more.

• Emily says: (Author)

Isn’t it delicious Linda! I just celebrated my own Christmas in July with mulled wine and the snow falling outside – amazing! I love living in the southern hemisphere; we get to celebrate Christmas twice!

5. Fran says:

Perfect mulled wine – almost felt like I was back on the ski slopes.

6. Bec says:

This recipe looks great, I want to try it tomorrow for a winter party! What is the best type of red wine to use?
    Cheers, Bec

• Emily says: (Author)

Hi Bec. Sorry I don’t think I’ve replied in time for your party but I’d recommend a Shirz or Cabernet Sauvignon. The good news is that you can use a relatively inexpensive bottle for Mulled Wine. So it’s a cheap and delicious drink option for winter!

7. Tracie says:

Did initial step on stove then transferred to slow cooker perfect. Used merlot yum. Thank you

• Emily says: (Author)

Hi Tracie, a slow cooker would be perfect for this recipe! Glad you liked it!

8. Jessica Drew says:

Can you make batches of this and reheat at a later date?

• Emily says: (Author)

Hi Jessica,
      I’d imagine it’d be fine; you just don’t want the wine to boil when reheating!

9. Mulled Wine says:

The best wine I ever drank.

10. Liz says:

I’m a bit pressed for time and was wondering if I can prepare this ahead of time? Maybe to the syrupy stage and add the rest of the wine on the night?
    Thanks
    Liz

• Emily says: (Author)

Hi Liz, yes of course you can prepare the ‘syrup stage first. Then when you’re ready, head the syrup up first, add the wine and turn down the heat and let cook for another 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

Trackbacks for this post

1. Friday Flights of Fancy « A Cast of Two
  2. Wine Cocktails and Fashion Inspiration | DC Wine Week
  3. Have a Purple Thanksgiving
  4. The Importance of Experience: Turning hotel guests into repeat customers
  5. Have a Happy (and Healthy) New Year « The Wine Student
  6. Bye, Bye Winter ‘End of Season’ Ideas #4 - Currong
  7. WORKING FOR THE WEEKEND WEDNESDAYS: MULLED WINE RECIPE | TEXTURES
  8. 20 Mulled cocktail recipes to warm up with this autumn | AEB VenturesAEB Ventures
  9. Wonderfully Spicy, Winter-warming Mulled Wine Recipe